SGV was a United States automobile manufacturer that made automobiles using Lancia components.
The Acme Motor Car Company sold its site and plant to J H Sternbergh for $72,100 in May 1911. Sternbergh in turn sold the Acme Motor Car Company and leased it plant to a New York consortium. The company's name was changed to SGV. Sternbrgh died in March 1913.
SGV was short for Sternberg, Graham, and Valentine the owners of the company. In 1911 they built 9 models. By 1916 the company had fallen deeply into debt and was wound up.
Several sources state that the SGV line was taken over by R J Metzler's Phianna Motor Company and renamed as Phianna, with production moving to Newark, New Jersey in 1916. The 1916 Phianna was a $3,600 town car.
Acme had been making SGV models since 1910. They acquired components from Lancia and made cars under the SGV badge. The model was similar in style to the Lancia Beta Torpedo. Newspapers of the time described the SGV as lightweight and mechanically efficient. The Lancia engine was used and a four speed transmission. The steering radius was noted being small, making the car maneuverable in city traffic.
With the sale to SGV in 1911, the new company produced eight models including a limousine, touring car, torpedo, toy tonneau, and roadster models. They were priced from $2,500 to $3,500 and achieved 15 to 20 mpg.
In December 1912 a 44 hp car, the model D, was introduced. SGV 4 and 5 seat passenger cars were selling for $2,150 on sale in August 1915.
An SGV was entered in the 1911 Vanderbilt cup race. They also competed in the October San Francisco to Los Angeles and back endurance run with C Matthews driving.
A 1912 SGV Runabout was on display at the Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles.