The Inter-State was a Brass Era car built in Muncie, Indiana by Inter-State Automobile Company from 1909 to 1919.
|Fate||Sold plant to General Motors|
|Founder||Thomas F. Hart|
|Headquarters||Muncie, Indiana, United States|
|Owner||Thomas F. Hart|
Thomas F. Hart announced in October 1908 the winning name of his new company, chosen via a contest. The Inter-State Automobile Company set up shop at 142 Willard Street. Ads stated "we could get more for this car." Originally, all Inter-States were mid-market, both in size and price, with four-cylinder engines. In 1913, 6-cylinder engines were added.
Unfortunately receivership followed in the fall of 1913. Thomas Hart cited "internal dissention and his inability to secure working capital because of disagreement among stockholders." In February 1914, Frank C. Ball (one of the original Inter-State investors) bought the Inter-State factory and real estate. This resulted in a renaming of the parent company to the Inter-State Motor Company.
In 1915, a new Beaver 4-cylinder low-priced car was released. By May 1918, automobile production was suspended in favor of war work. In late February 1919, F.C. Ball announced he would be resuming passenger car production, but by March of the same year, Ball sold the Inter-State factory to General Motors for them to produce their new Sheridan.