The Big Car Database

Ben Hur

The Ben-Hur Motor Company was incorporated 1916 in the state of Delaware, with the cars being built by L. L. Allen in Willoughby, Ohio.

The Ben Hur, Ben Hur Motor Car Company, Willoughby, OH,  was a continuation of the Allen automobile and L. L. Allen was hoping that a name change would help. He announced in February that he had shipped 30 automobiles and was making 5-10 per week. owing for the difficulty of obtaining bodies. His factory was capable of making 20 per week. A stock holders meeting was called for in March to raise the capital fund from 0ne to six million. The results were probably no because the the Ben Hur did not last until summer.

Features

  • Chassis with a wheelbase of 126 inches
  • Buda six cylinder engine with splash and forced feed oiling system
  • Bosch high-tension ignition magneto
  • Westinghouse separate motor for starting
  • Disc clutch and selective sliding gear set with three speeds forward and reverse
  • 19 gallon gasoline tank is mounted on rear with a two-gallon reserve tank
  • Timken axles are used in front and rear with wire wheels on which 35x4 tires are mounted.

Another new assembled car is the Ben Hur, made by the Ben-Hur Motor Co., Cleveland. This has a Buda engine, being the unit rated at 60 hp. with 33/4 in. bore and 51/2 stroke. It is a block L-head design, lubricated by combination splash and pressure, cooled by pump circulation with Bosch high tension magneto for ignition. The car has standard transmission parts with Timken axle. It has a wheelbase of 126 in. with 35 by 4% in. oversize tires. Starting and lighting is by the two-unit Westinghouse system. The car sells for $1,875 as a four-passenger roadster, five or seven-passenger touring. The seven-passenger touring sedan is $2,750.

Prices

  • Five and seven-passenger touring - $1875
  • Seven-passenger Sedan - $2750
  • Four-passenger Roadster - $1875

Ben-Hur exhibited a cloverleaf roadster at the 1917 New York Auto Show. In February 1918 Allen announced that between 30 and 40 cars had been shipped to dealers, and that plans called for five to ten cars a week for the time being, owing to the difficulty in securing bodies. The company had a factory with a capacity of building 20 cars per day. A meeting was scheduled in March to increase capitalisation, but by May 1918 the company was in receivership.